Thursday, March 13, 2014

Junipers--to chop or not to chop.

The thing I hate most about my house--ok, probably the only thing I hate--is the junipers that block the columns on either side of the porch. They look really pretty here:

But then, so would anything, right? (The world's most awesome new app, Waterlogue, turns photos into watercolors.)

But I digress.

I want to cut down the junipers. They have a yellowish green color that doesn't go well with the house, and they aren't appropriate to the house's architecture at all. And when I sit on the steps they block the late afternoon sun.

The problem is, if I cut them down the house will look terrible for a while and it will be a ton of work to redo the front beds. Not to mention the fact that there are pretty much no other plants on the property, which means the house is just sitting on this bald grassy lot already.

So, I am hesitating. I lie in bed thinking about sawing down the junipers, but they are so mature, I feel guilty killing them. Am I unfairly biased because I grew up in a home devoid of piney evergreens?  Opinions?

On a more positive note, there are some random bulbs popping up throughout the yard. Surprise!




No comments:

Post a Comment