Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Garden Prep

Hi everyone,

I'm having a great time digging up my front yard; I've removed four of five ugly stumps and soon I will have a beautiful empty slate for planting a flowerbed surrounding the porch. I've also started digging up lawn to extend the bed out much further into the current lawn space, which is how bungalows are commonly landscaped. It's a lot of work but I love digging in Virginia--the soil is rich and full of earthworms. I will need to add quite a bit of amendment because it is a very dense clay soil, but I have a feeling it will be easy to grow things here.

Because the weather has been so cold and we've had quite a bit of snow, I'm making slow progress. I haven't even bought a single plant at the nursery yet, or had mulch or compost delivered.

But the rose bush I hacked back is putting out baby branches--little tiny ones that are just little "nubs" right now but which will soon grow and, I hope, become canes I can train onto the porch.

So stay tuned for updates as the weather (hopefully) improves.

No comments:

Post a Comment