Friday, January 3, 2014

Finally, I have time to post an update!

Hi everyone! I'm sorry it's been so long since my last update, but wow, has it been CRAZY around here. I've got lots to show you, so be prepared...this post is epic.

Things are still crazy, actually. Right now the house is full of people: I've got electricians finishing up the last bits and pieces of the fixtures and wiring, plumbers installing gas lines for the stove and dryer, and a locksmith sawing off an old door handle and installing new deadbolts. It's exhausting and loud. And expensive. But I'm sitting here in my sun-filled new living room writing this at the same time. I'm not complaining!

So, last time I posted, the floors were being sanded and prepared for finishing. The floor guys finished mid-day Christmas Eve, and I waited patiently as they cured. Here's what's happened since:

1. The floors were finally safe to walk on in socks!
Here they are after one coat. The stairs are a wonderful, warm pine. They really soaked up the finish, so they will need an extra coat. I had to move in to stay on schedule, so the floor guys will come back for this final step in a week or two.
The old finish was water-based, and I could tell it was done with a poor quality product, since I had a beautiful water finish at my house in Texas. I went with oil polyurethane this time, since it's such an old house, and I am so glad I did! It was the perfect choice for these floors.

2. After the floors were cured, movers came! And Mom came!

Books filled the floor in the middle of the library.
Mom gets busy unpacking. She was AMAZING!
Of course, the books had to be unpacked as soon as possible! Note the beautiful floors here. Remember the "Welcome" patch on the floor? Gone. Aaaah.
Mom kept claiming she was going to stomp on the bubble wrap, but really, she just created lovely, orderly stacks of it as she unpacked.

3. Appliances dribbled in!
I scored a great deal on the fridge, which had been returned and was $600 off its regular price. It's counter-depth, which I would never have been able to afford otherwise. The stove is a thing of beauty. Double ovens. Gas. I didn't even realize I had bought the same brand (KitchenAid) with matching handles until they were installed. 
4. Lighting, switch plates, and outlets were installed.
Beautiful new sconces over the fireplace.
The original foyer chandelier was reinstalled. I need to go bulb shopping--we only found one that works to test it! Note the surrounding chaos. Sigh.
Fantastic space-age fixture in the dining room. Ikea, how I love you.
Adorable Ikea pendants and lovely recessed lights in the kitchen. Note that the counter will be extended when I replace it--once that happens, that second pendant won't look like it's hovering on the edge.
4. I moved in. The best thing about it so far is how much space there is! Considering how small my last place was, the things that thrill me are probably a bit silly.
I have room for my toothpaste! My previous bathroom was so small and the "vanity" so tiny I had to buy toothpaste tubes in the smallest size and stand them on end. Look at all this space! Also, note the beautiful white paint on the cabinet base. Mom painted over the cheap, dark stained wood.
There is space for yoga! In my last house, there was no place in the house where I could move my body in all directions (arms up, arms out, bend down and lie on the floor, stand up again) without having to move over in the middle of the series to adjust out of the way of either a piece of furniture or a light fixture. The upstairs hall is now also the yoga studio.
 5. The cats moved in! I have been so looking forward to watching them discover the staircase. I'll close today's post with a sweet image of Pirate surveying his new domain. Thanks for visiting!




No comments:

Post a Comment