Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Built-ins begin!

Hello everyone!

All is going very well at the house. I have been living here for about a week now, and it is already starting to feel like home. The spaces are just wonderful--the rooms spacious, the traffic flow very natural, and I even entertained my first post-unpacking guest, Nicole. It was wonderful having someone over, and it feels like a house that should and will be filled with guests in future. So let me know when you're coming over.

Other things I'm enjoying: hearing the train rumble by. I've heard it whistle in the daytime (love the train whistle) and a clanging bell in the evening, but just a rumble at night. It reminds me of my years in Menlo Park, where I could hear the clanging of the train crossing echoing from a few blocks away. I love that sound. I'm also enjoying having a nice big porch to protect me from the rain when I get home. I'm about to enjoy my first short walk to work; I will test out the buses soon but they run irregularly until the semester starts.

Many boxes remain packed because I am waiting for the built-in bookcases to be installed. Yesterday, John began the process. He delivered (in the FREEZING cold) the boxes he built in his shop, and got them set in place. Today he's coming back to finish. I'll be painting the pieces once they're fully installed. Can't wait!
The cabinet base in the living room. There will be open bookshelves above this reaching to the ceiling.

The base for the tall bookcase in the dining room. This one will not have a cabinet at the bottom, but will be a very tall wall of books. Perfection!
The window seat! It's nice and deep so I can sit cross legged against the wall. It has a lid you can lift so the interior may be used for storage. John has to install the hinge and finish the baseboards.

No comments:

Post a Comment