Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Knob and Tube Wiring

There has been a bit of excitement this week, since I learned that it's pretty much impossible to insure a home with knob and tube wiring. Apparently this is a very recent development in the homeowner's insurance market. But even though it is an unexpected cost, I know it's going to need to get done eventually anyway.

So, the owner is kindly allowing me to take early possession of the house in order to have the knob and tube replaced before we close.  My wonderful realtor has been scrambling to find me an electrician who can take on this project immediately. It looks like she is going to be able to secure her favorite electrician. We'll know tomorrow.

This means I have a house key, which is pretty exciting. It also means I need to hurry up and get new fans and light fixtures asap.

Today I met with two HVAC installers to get estimates for replacing the old heating system and adding air conditioning. I learned a ton and will look forward to getting their estimates back. It's going to be the biggest purchase I make by far, and very important since Virginia has equally hot summers and cold winters, and is generally pretty humid. It's a challenge to decide how much to spend for resale and my own comfort, without totally breaking the bank. Both installers were thrilled and surprised to see that I have a nice big cellar with plenty of space for ductwork.

OK, folks, that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment